Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Wimpy Weights?

I never lifted very heavy weights, but in my youth I had no problem with my little set of 5, 8, and 10 pounders. Might even have a 12 around here somewhere. But really not that heavy for hand weights, right? Long stupid story, couple years ago I developed tennis elbow in my left non-dominant hand from strength exercises, and it still plagues me. While I’ve increased reps with 5-8 pounds on my right side, the left I can’t get past 5 pounds and 5 reps of anything without delayed pain and burning. If I use the tension strap, I can get past that, but I used it so much the Velcro is almost worn out. At a certain point it seems redic if I can’t do anything without using the darned strap. I’ve mentioned this annoyance in passing to my providers (not the main point of the visit) and they always tell me to do less and less. Work your way up to 2 pounds. Don’t use weights at all. Uhm, excuse me? I’m doing this sculpted arm video the Health Coach gave me, and while it does get my heart-rate up, I cannot fathom how it would ever promote building muscle or “sculpting.” But maybe, just maybe, if one added some reasonably small weights . . . I don’t think I’d want to start off with my 5 pounders, which are the smallest I have. But 2, 3, 4, whatever, which previously seemed so ridiculously wimpy. Thought maybe if one used them during walking videos (did I mention I can’t walk outside like a normal person?) and such, maybe they could earn their place. Yes, know one can use a can or bottle of water. Whatever one has lying around. I think I’d prefer the sock full of pennies or some denser weight. And what happens if I drop the can or bottle and it explodes all over the place? I tried a can of noodle soup here, and it’s so large it’s unwieldy. I’m not saying I need to look sleek and stylish, but there’s a point the size or form doesn’t work well.

No comments: