Wednesday, June 14, 2023

New Adventures in Pain

Got some beginner exercises from the health coach. Kinda cool that everything is seated. Unfortunately I forgot the suggestion that I only try only one at a time. The idea that if anything hurts, you can easily identify what it was. I didn’t realize some things might not hurt until hours later. Not the sore - I over did a good thing hurt. Like, this exercise is not meant for my current body and is evil kind of hurt.

It’s not like I tried all of them. The leg and ankle ones were a piece of cake. I tried a couple neck stretches that seemed ok, but I got impatient and wanted to do some strength training. I tried a couple for abs, mainly to see if I could follow the instructions and had a chair that would work (I do not). Then I did one 15 minute arm workout and discovered out how easily one can get an aerobic/cardio workout without using legs or feet.

About three hours later I started to feel a little sore, and thought, wow, that was fast (usually it’s the next day). Four hours later my spine felt like it was on fire. Otc pills didn’t help, so I ended up raiding the medicine cabinet for a previously prescribed muscle relaxant so I could get some sleep.

Yep, I'm not healthy and invincible anymore. I seriously did not think I overdid it that badly. I thought maybe my arms would be a little tender from the length of use, but they're fine. I'm thinking it had to be the ab ones, since that's parallel to the back. Hurt from my skull down to my hips. The two gentle neck stretches should not have done that much damage.

So I'm backing down from turtle-pace to snail pace. Maybe start again tomorrow, or whenever I feel sufficiently recovered. I piddly type of exercise per day. Even then, I'm still scared to try the ones from yesterday. Maybe 1 rep and wait? Oye.

No comments: