Saturday, June 17, 2023

Evil Stretches?

It took until Friday for the back pain to subside enough for me to gingerly attempt any more new exercises. Pretty sad. I have some tiny simple leg and arm ones I can do, that I have done, off and on, but nothing else adventurous. Friday I finally re-wound the stretches for elderly video that was recommended, and I believe I found the culprit. Luckily I barely did anything, because I was so scared and tentative. The neck stretches made my spine pop and seemed supect, and caused notable discomfort in the same areas of my back as before, within a couple of hours, so I think we have a winner. The silliness is stretches are supposed to be good for you. Generally the least dangerous thing one can supposedly do. I guess the verdict is that I am so feeble and decrepit I can somehow cause pretty massive pain by simply stretching. I do have other back-specific stretches I’ve tried with success. The Health Coach was swift and adamant to tell me how dangerous that is. Yes, anyone can post anything online. I only did ones recommended by supposed doctors and physical therapists, but I admit I didn’t do background checks on them first. I also tried them slowly and skeptically, but they did help. The point is what little I had in my arsenal, I was scolded for using. Then I try the stuff they recommend and end up on muscle relaxants for a couple of days. Hmmm, ok. I have gone back to undertaking no more than one new exercise per day. I also started tediously detailed notes about everything. How long it took for pain to set in, how much it worsened, how much medicine I took without relief. My spouse suspects perhaps it was a pinched nerve. Who knows. I'm not going anywhere near that type of movement again for a very long while. If nothing else, it did allow me to re-evaluate my perspective. Previously I said everything seemed to hurt. Oh how wrong I was.

No comments: