Monday, April 1, 2024

So Long Salt, My Savory Friend

Slowly all my vices seem to be taken away from me. I know most of them aren’t too healthy, but it’s still difficult. I haven’t had Cheetos in over 4 months. Butter, less than that, but so long ago I can’t even recall the last time I had it. And so on. The last vice I thought I could keep was salt.

Yes, I know most people aren’t supposed to have a lot either, but that was my last pleasant treat. Had discussed with my PCP (primary care provider) years ago and he agreed if it was table salt and not processed hidden salt, and it helped me avoid other temptations, it was fine. At the time, anyway. I don’t use any old salt. I have a plethoric array of seasoned sea salts, which in theory are better because they’re stronger, so hopefully one uses less. I had a WW leader who swore on anything that table salt would not kill you. I very much wanted to take that to the proverbial bank.

I know there are other spices out there, and I do use them. Maybe I don’t know the magic combinations that make the combined sum delectably superior to the individual parts. But to say I need to cut out salt, that’s worse to me than giving up meats and even chocolate. Sure, I still like chocolate. But ask me how long I could live without one or the other, and I’d clutch my smoked truffle salt stash and send you on your way with your Cadbury/Hershey/whatever creamy goodness.

I love plain potatoes with seasoning (no high fat diary toppings like cheese and sour cream), but you guessed my favorite seasoning. Each day I could use a different deluxe flavored salt and enjoy a new adventure. Curry potatoes is ok but . . . Sure garlic, onion, red pepper, chives are all fine but . . . I wish I could find something I enjoyed as much. I really like the smoky (salt) flavorings. Chipotle isn’t bad, Siracha is ok in small doses . . . I am disappointed and in withdrawal while I look for that next best elixir. A local spice vendor had some seasoning mixes, and I purchased a sampler pack since I didn’t want to spend all day tasting and re-tasting dry without any food context. So far nothing bad but nothing great. They say it’s the journal and not the destination, but so far I’m not in love with this salt-free journey. I want to get to the end or at least a milestone where I find my next favorite flavoring that make me melt on contact.

No comments: