Saturday, April 27, 2024

OTC Addiction

Addiction. It’s not a pretty word. Yet I think most of us have little vices, whether we care to admit to them or not. I read an article a while ago about how flight attendants dislike people who request Diet Coke and believe those who do are usually addicts. I shrugged and thought yeah, I’m probably a Diet Coke addict. I’ve mentioned how hard-wired I am to to my salt flavorings (not straight table salt, fun fancy sea salt—there is a difference).

The hospital called and gave me instructions including to stop taking any Over The Counter products. I’m happy for anyone to whom it is business as usual. Unfortunately for me this is no small feat. It’s allergy season and I’ve been taking an otc preventive pill every night for years. I also have been advised to take generic Flonase for when the otc decongestants can’t kick my sinus pain. After the congestion is cleared, who wouldn’t want to dull any remaining sinus pain with a mild otc pain pill? So ugh. I already have a good sinus headache going. Can I put something like Vicks Vaporub on my skin where it hurts or are topicals also forbidden? I googled that topical pain stuff is for sure.

Besides my nightly allergy pill, I also take a natural sleep aid, again, which I have been per provider recommendation, for years. They cleared all my prescription medications, so I can take them freely. Who would have guessed it would have been better to have prescription sleep and pain medication for situations like this? I didn’t ask about my eye drops, but I sincerely hope they are ok as I’m not stopping them. Occasionally I wake up and it’s difficult to move my eyelids because things are so dried out (because I don’t want to put goopy gel in at night). I could see about distilled water for eye drops. Pretty sure that’s what they use for eye-washes when foreign substances need to be washed out of one’s eye.

No vitamins or supplements. I had no idea vitamins were bad. I guess it’s been a few years since I had minor surgery, and the last ones I had were semi-emergent, so they were scheduled within a couple of days. No one told me to stop doing anything, but perhaps they were more concerned about getting me in quickly. Ignorance is bliss on their part too, right?.

The only part more fun than this is that I am not allowed lotion the day of surgery. This makes perfect sense except that I have pretty dry skin and lotion up every time I wash my hands. Doesn’t help that I live in a dry climate either. At least that’s only one morning. Still not going to be fun itching and fretting and will probably beg them to put me under. I have to get up at 4 am to take surgery specific medications, arrive at the hospital at 5:30, and supposedly the surgery starts at 9am. I really hope they dope me up with something on the earlier side.

No comments: