Friday, April 8, 2022

Pen Review: Bic 1.6mm ballpoints

I generally agree gel or liquid pens are superior in smoothness to ball-points, but there are some exceptions that I find quite tolerable. Perhaps this is also where I subliminally get the idea that wider/bolder tips are smoother. In ballpoint world, bolder is generally smoother. I’m not sure if it’s the bigger the writing area, the more lubrication and it flows better or what. But I believe this is also true of at least some gel or other writing tools. All things being equal, the 7s seem smoother to me than the 5s. (or .5, or V5, whatever the brand description). I’m not sure how I stumbled upon all of these; probably back to school sales that I didn’t think I could resist. Then the irony, sometimes what seem like lower-class pens, in combination with cheap paper provided at work feels really decently smooth. Like two cheapos complement each other. I don’t necessarily love all ballpoints on my “regular” thicker, and sometimes subtly textured journal writing paper. But if you have to write occasionally at work with crappy paper, some ball-points are ok with me. Not any ballpoint, mind you. The first surprise pick is Bic Cristal Xtra Bold 1.6 mm. Yes, I know these numbers are not all equal, and I don’t have an exact key to interpret what equals what. All I can tell you is that ballpoint takes a higher number to equate thick/bold lines than other pens, in general. Without using any measuring equipment, I’d say 1.0 is maybe roughly like .7 in other items. So 1.6 sounds enormous, but it’s more like 1.0 at most. I cannot stand any other Bic Cristal sticks, no matter what they promise in the way of extra smooth, extra comfort, long-lasting or what-not. Nope, sorry, I think they all suck. Even the 1.0mm. And I realize the Bic sticks generally look extremely cheap. The up-side is they are less likely to be stolen from one’s desk at work. It was probably back-to-school time and I got a variety color pack, and it was surprisingly decent. It is also very similar to the Bic Velocity 1.6, and Bic Atlantis, 1.6 available in clicky-top, which cost a bit more. Same brand, and it seems to me like the main difference is the exterior pen casing/housing (what does one call those?). The Atlantis are overall thinner and have a minimal grip near the bottom. The Velocity are a thicker exterior pen overall, almost chunky, and a generously wider grip. Having arthritis, my personal preference is the Velocity. But I admit the Atlantis takes less room when traveling (especially with lots of pens) and may be attractive for those who like something that looks more sleek and professional. The Cristals look like you got off the grade-school bus. Oh well.

No comments: