Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Everything in one closet?

Well, I’ve finished the first Marie Kondo book: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying up. It’s still very nicely optimistic, but my take-away is that everything has to be in one closet. Not just clothes, but also books, posters, décor, your happy/power spot – put it all in the closet. I find this odd because if all this stuff truly sparks joy, why does one have to hide it in the closet? I was almost surprised she didn’t say to put your kitchen items in the bedroom closet as well. I get that one shouldn’t have things strewn around the house, but I like having pictures on the wall – not the wall inside the closet. I like having some things on shelves because that’s where I can look at, and enjoy them. Yes, I actually have bookcases outside my closet, that would not fit in the closet. I admit they’re not well-purged and organized yet, so hopefully they will eventually be less crowded, but things like movies, books, photo albums, craft supplies, I actually do have on shelves outside the closet, and I didn’t think that was so horrible. I know I have a long way to go, but I cannot see having absolutely everything I own occupy one closet. I mean, do I keep toiletries there too, because I’m probably not allowed to use the bathroom cupboard anymore? Sorry, I can’t envision that yet, and the concept does not have the connotation of joy. I’d have to walk inside my closet just to enjoy anything, and consolidating all those items in one place makes me think even with purging, it may be a bit crowded and overwhelming. I don’t see how it would be wrong to have a few shelves with decorations, knick-knacks, or so on, in the home. The ones that make the cut after purging – the ones that do truly spark joy. Does one keep their home office crammed inside the closet too? (not that I have one, but you get the idea). Do we keep the fine china, mac and cheese, dining room table, and treadmill all in that one closet? No, I don’t own anything but the mac and cheese, and yes, I’m being facetious to prove a point. I know one shouldn’t keep excessive items, but that still seems like things would get cramped very fast and hinder the ability to really appreciate all those items if one can only keep them in the closet. Sorry, having a hard time wrapping my head around this one point. Otherwise, I’m ready to start book two: Spark Joy.

No comments: