Monday, October 30, 2023

Eating More Plants - Hoorah!

Last week I succeeded eating more “plants” than usual. Granted, my main staples were bananas, potatoes, and broccoli. This is where anyone reading slaps their forehead that I made such poor choices. Bananas have so much sugar, and potatoes are startchy.. Well, sure, but that’s still better than I have been eating overall. An entire banana is two servings, so one could argue that one can easily “overeat.” Whatever. That just means I got more servings in. I think the real culprit for potatoes is the stuff people put ON them. I had boiled potatoes with spices and minimal toppings to keep them moist or a little more flavor. Potatoes are still better than white rice or pasta, so there. I am down a few pounds since the beginningof the month. I’m still paranoid every day I step on the scale it might go back up, so that helps keep me a bit motivated.

Taking a small step is better than attempting all-or-nothing and then giving up as soon as one makes a tiny less than perfect choice. It feels more sustainable than being motivated by fear. I didn’t write about the fear motivation idea. Rently had some iffy test results and healthcare providers reminded me that at least 40% of all cancers are preventable by diet and a reasonable weight. Fine, so if I succumb later it’s all my fault. Great feeling. Eat better or get cancer. Not that anyone makes it out of this life alive. Being told one has a 200+% chance of getting cancer can be quite the attention-getter. Feels like even if I don’t have it now, it’s only a matter of time wating for it to drop. What can I do in the meantime besides fret? Lose weight, eat more plants, all that good stuff. Chemoprevention too, but we’ll get to that later.

No comments: