Tuesday, October 10, 2023

All Ailments Caused by Being Overweight

Anyone else had these lectures? If you just lose weight, it will all go away. Uh huh. I had no idea they’d even blame poor vision on weight. By now it’s too late for me on that one. I know weight doen’t help, and probably does exacerbate things, but . . . then there’s the issue with how quickly one should lose weight and what one should do in the meantime if one has a lot of weight to lose.

Talked to a gentleman at work today who is becoming a certified nutritionist and advocates eating 600 calories a day living off coffee, protein powder, and pureed chicken. Said load up on celery and you’ll never have to exercise. Not that he indulges in celery, personally. He said a lot of interesting things that I’m not sure I’m ready to buy into. I do resist celery because it seems bitter to me. But his take was that you only have to suffer for a shorter amount of time and then go back to eating whatever. Not sure I buy into that either, as I’ve always been taught the slow and steady lifestyle changes, but whatever.

I know I need to get healthier, but I really wish there was a better way of motivating myself instead of fear. Fear of this, that . . . the newest one is cancer. You're going to get cancer because 40% of cancer incidences are caused by being overweight and no doctors want to treat you when you brought it on yourself and it’s all your fault. Yeah, that’s a fun thought to carry around all day. Even if it’s true or partially so, is that the ideal way to make yourself afraid to eat anything questionable?

I’m not a coffee person, but I suppose I could do shakes for a while. I was always under the impression quick fixes like that weren’t good for you and wasn’t the point because you’re not going to stay on them forever. As soon as you stop, the weight comes back anyway. But if it’s “lose weight or die” and if you’re at fault, I guess you can say a certain amount of suffering is earned or somehow necessary for penance.

I know, eat to live, not live to eat. Maybe the idea is if you deprive yourself of desirable food for long enough you will forget you miss it and never want it again. I’m sure one’s tastebuds adapt to a certain point but . . . coffee and pureed chicken, huh? Eeek.

No comments: