Sunday, July 23, 2023

Weight vs. Repetitions?

Intersting articles that browsers recommend for you once you search for something, like exercise bands. Of course, who knows if anything is accurate unless it comes from a Scientific Journal. Hint: If you don’t have to pay to access it, it’s probably not from a Scientific Journal.

One article attempted to asnwer the question which is better: heavier weights, lower reps, or lower weights, higher reps? It said it depends on your goal. If you want to bulk up, do more reps. If you want to get strong, do more weight.

So what am I doing spending all this time doing 20-40 repetitions of the arm exercises? I don’t need to bulk up. My main goal is to get stronger, get more muscle and burn calories. Not look buff.

The exercise videous seemed more for speed and endurance, maybe if using for cardio/aerobic. That could have a purpose. But at the same time, I’m not going to use any significant amount of weight as fast as they do – 20+ repetitions in 30 seconds. I thought the point of doing weights was to engage more mucle by doing slower controlled movements.

On the other hand, I have never followed the recommendation to do weights that are so heavy you’re exhausted and about ready to drop it and collapse after 12-18 reps. Tired, and possibly have the term “exhausted” come to mind, sure. But to the point you can no longer hold and and are in danger of dropping it and injuring yourself? No thank you. Previous to this article, I would have always thought of myself preferring more reps at a less extreme weight, if that’s what I had to do.

How many repetitions are enough, then? In any case, maybe I don’t need several wimpy weights after all. The small glycerin bottles are fun and I could still use those, but I don’t know that I need to invest in a lot more at this point. I tend to spend far too much time deliberating over reviews and trying to decide which type/model would be best and I will not regret buying.

No comments: