Saturday, February 15, 2020

To keep . . . or not to keep

One thing I occasionally struggle with is my spiritual upbringing that tells me that if I enjoy these material items, I’m looking for comfort and joy in all the wrong places. That argument is probably true enough. And it’s not as if you can take these things with you when you die. One could argue if you really have to have a stark and minimal existence in this life even if you do believe in one hereafter.

But to me it seems like it’s two separate arguments; spending inordinate amounts of money on silly things, or wanting to keep some silly things that you already have. I won’t argue that I did spend a stupid amount of effort and money acquiring these things. Or that there could be better pursuits than snuggling with a stuffed animal after a stressful day at work. But one could argue there are also worse things. Again, the stupid purchases have already been made, and the money wasted. We’re not talking about being able to return or resell these items and recoop money, only giving them away. I guess some of the point is to regain some space, but that’s not the highest motivator here when I’m looking at beloved possessions I already have. The question is whether it’s worth the space to keep them here, if they have the potential to give me enough joy that it warrants them taking up space here. And since I’ve had so much MORE stuff taking up in ordinate amounts of space, I probably don’t have the best perspective yet.
15 bags down.

No comments: