Saturday, December 13, 2008

WhisperWriter II

One interesting thing about moving is finding things you'd long forgotten. Only thing more amuzing than that is discovering that they still work.

Among these treasures was a Brother WhisperWriter II WP-7500j II. It's a word processor I got at least 15 years ago when I was in college & couldn't afford a computer that would be outdated before I learned to use it. School had a computer lab, but then you had to hope there was an available slot when you needed it, hope you didn't accidentally get infected with a virus, and it was only open until midnight, which was when I got off my full-time job. So I invested in this device to work on papers on my own time and location. We took it with us in the move because I insisted I had to check if there was any retrievable data on it before throwing it out. Today it was unpacked. It not only works perfectly, but had a wealth of data untouched for over ten years. Kind of scary. The biggest imperfection is that it uses ink cartridges that are less than common these days (heck, I'm amazed they even exist) and a few rubbed-off glow in the dark star stickers adorned on the monitor frame. But as old as the technology is (it was probably outdated even when I purchased it), it still works. It has a word program, spreadsheet capabilities, templates and letter formatting, and although I've never used it, it can supposedly hook up to e-mail. Because of the printer components it is a bit bulky, but I'm just amused it still works perfectly for what it is for. Granted, it uses those little 3 1/2 floppy discs that no one makes anymore, but I'll bet if you found any, you could certainly get them for next to free. Maybe someone's technology fearing grandparent could use it . . .

Anyway, that was my stroll down memories of techologies past . . .

No comments: