Monday, December 22, 2008

Searching for a Cause

Double meaning here. First off, I always use Goodsearch.com It’s so easy, even if you prefer google or another engine, I don’t see why people don’t use it at least some of the time to support charities. Or click daily on places like the hunger site, or animal rescue site, or the other three sites that are all linked together there (literacy, child health, breast cancer rain forest). It takes seconds. Even if you don’t remember to click every single day, once in a while when you remember . . .

So heck, I try not to bookmark sites so I have to search for them and raise a few cents here and there. The great thing is that a friend of mine told me about the whole goodsearch thing, and I’ve gotten at least three local places to sign up, and they’ve made several hundred dollars. See the great influence one person can have?

On the other hand, I still find myself searching for a cause. For some reason we human beings (at least some of us) feel this need to feel like we have purpose. Like we’re not an accident—we have a reason for being here, and can make a difference, no matte how small. Heck, even a hobby would help me out. One that I can afford, anyway. Did some web-window-shopping this weekend to see what the damage would be to start up 4x5 photography . . . a decent spot meter alone is $500, and the rest of it adds up close to another 500, so needless to say that doesn’t look like a good prospect right now.

Of course, right now I guess unpacking would be a more practical hobby . . . a bit less to look forward too, but necessary.

No comments: