Saturday, December 6, 2008

Letter to my Photo teacher

(that I don't have the guts to say or send in real life)

I'm sure when you reflect on your various students, some shine, some are duds. I'm a dud. Even so, you might want to know you've impacted me more than you know.

Currently I use a digital point & shoot most often (gasp). But it's a point & shoot that has manual, aperture priority & shutter priority settings, and I never use the dummy modes. It has several white balance choices, and I never use the exposure recommended by the camera.

When I sit in waiting rooms I automatically evaluate the photographs in the books and have a pretty good idea what film they used. I tsk them for lack of shadow or highlight detail, and I can tell the difference between real black & whites and fakes.

While I don't always view the world in the four stops of light, I'll often see scences & decide what camera and medium would work best for it.

I may have washed out, but I still remember what you taught us.

No comments: