Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Pens: Uniball Air

As unimpressed as I was with the Uniball Vision Elite, the Uniball Air was even worse. Again, right now I’m in the mood for something that writes very smooth and glides across the paper. While some people appreciate the nibs that have friction and scratch and make noise, that is not what I am looking for right now. This pen was like writing with a q-tip covered in dry moss. Idk. I wanted to say it was not smooth, as a q-tip dipped in ink would probably not be smooth, as it’s very fibrous, but then thought hmm, that’s not descriptive enough. Again, I’m not saying felt tips don’t have a place in the pen world at all, but that was not what I was looking for at this time. I currently like gel pens, and this stupid, stupid website made it sound like rollerballs were better than any gel pens, and that these two were the cream of the crop for affordable (under $25 a piece) rollerball pens.

If nothing else, the Uniball Air made me appreciate the Vision Elite much, much more. Now my chief annoyance is with the advertised color. They happened to have “blue black” which, in other brands, essentially means navy, and I thought I would like it. In Uniball-land, apparently “blue black” means medium blue-gray. Regular blue pens are darker than this blue. It’s like blue-gray storm clouds. Storm-cloud coloring can be pretty in its own right, but I was promised “blue black” and I hardly think it qualified. My preferred blue-black pen is Zebra Sarasa gel ink, .7 or 1.0 (I’m partial to bold lines right now). But in hindsight it was much smoother than the Air, so that’s something. But I do not have patience to pay money in order to test out what might be decent pens. Ha, if anything, I should go through my trove and write reviews of all the ones I already have. Figure out exactly what they are and why I like them. I thought I had a different kind or rollerball once that I didn’t hate . . . so I don’t know why these two disappointed me so much. I must find reliable info on different pen types and what makes a difference. Then maybe someday I can shop more reliably (as if I really need any more pens. I should take a census, I have that many).

No comments: