Thursday, April 23, 2020

Ideal Space

I’m going to be working at home until at least June. I already have cabin fever big time, from all non-essentials being closed, and not supposed to go anywhere non-essential. Though my city’s traffic has only been reduced less than half, so that tells you how serious people are not taking it.

I guess the lesson to me should be this: the ideal is to make one’s home a sanctuary – a place one loves to be. Relaxing, inspiring, peaceful, motivating, whatever or all of the above. Mine decidedly is not. With all this opportunity to stay home and be in a place of your own ideal creation, I should make it better so it’s a happier place to be.

The sudden move of all my work space here threw a sizable wrench in things. I had three boxes of crap to take home, mostly personal comforts, such as a blanket (it gets cold), lamp, my own pens, spices, etc, not including 2 large monitors. I had to supply my own power bank/strip, and after a couple weeks of unpleasant back pain, sprang for a decent chair (aaaah). We got a narrow bookcase for the corner by my work desk, which helped a lot, since my desk is only a flat surface (no drawers or storage space). We figured it can also double as a nice cat perch, as it’s next to another area the cats lounge about. But it’s still far from ideal. If I’m going to be spending all my time either here, or elsewhere in my home, I really should take the time and effort to make my work and living area more of a refreshing oasis, somewhere you’d have to drag me away from, because it’s so perfect and idyllic. Everyone else is treating this like so grand vacation. This isn’t quite a vacation for me, but instead of whining about all the drawbacks of working at home (higher utilities, longer hours), I should use the Kondo method etc to really make it a more pleasant place to be.

No comments: