Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Doldrum effects on decisions

I’ve noticed interesting effects of current emotional states on sorting and decision making. The whole COVID-19 isn’t the end of the world, but it causes plenty of aftermath even though I haven’t been personally effected by it yet. From worrying about loved ones, uncertainty of income, bitterness of feeling overworked and underpaid, cabin fever, annoyance of hearing everyone else voice political opinions . . . Let’s just say it’s produced a lot of ups and downs. I wonder if I should be concerned about my ability to evaluate items properly during especially stressed times. I’ve had the doldrums where I feel like yeah, right, nothing sparks joy. Does that mean I deserve to live in a bland, dark cell because I don’t deserve to keep anything? On the opposite end, occasionally I’ve felt like, heck, with all this going on, I’m keeping that stuffed animal if I feel like it even if I’m not sure it sparks true joy, and to heck with Kondo if she were to personally tell me otherwise.

I still wonder if I’ll have to re-sort things twice to really fine-tune everything. Everything but clothing, perhaps. I really didn’t keep much in that area. I only have a small fraction left, to the point I wonder if I need to start watching on-line sales, so I don’t run out of shirts if we don’t do laundry often enough. But everything else, I think I was so exhausted by the end of it . . . You’re supposed to do things in one fell swoop, but by doing so, I don’t know how reliable my decision-making is near the end either. I know I got rid of books I wish I hadn’t. And I probably have candles I should not have kept. And it still bugs me that I can’t donate things right now because everything is closed. It’s a trivial thing, but it feels more annoying than it should, combined with everything else.

No comments: