Wednesday, March 20, 2024

The Great Fitness Tracker Debate

Ah, the fitness tracker conundrum. To get one, or be completely intrinsically motivated by the pure joy of activity. Yeah, right. I tend to not get the expensive stuff, but I definitely see how it can be motivating to track and improve, especially when perception can be subjective and change with time. Trackers can be more quantitative, and occasionally even qualitative. Why do I hem and haw? If I’m going to buy something that in my book is “expensive” (more than $10 for a crappy pedometer) I want it to be somewhat of an investment. I know nothing lasts forever, but I’d like it to no be a waste of money. Years ago, after a ridiculous amount of consideration, I purchased a Fitbit as such an investment. Loved using is and seeing all the activity I got in during the time I would normally not wear a pedometer (wrist vs. attaching to other wardrobe items). It gave silly little rewards for accomplishments, one could challenge friends who had Fitbits, and I enjoyed it until it died a year later. Barely outside the warrantee, I was disappointed and not about to buy another one if they only last a year. They did send me a replacement, which didn't work at all. Sure, it might not last 10 years, but come on. I don’t have that much money to throw away for $100+ every year. Lately I wondered if I could benefit from a less expensive tracker, so I went googling. I found a discontinued, but new Fitbit (vs. used) at a reasonable price, which opened the door of comparison of all the others. Sure, this model is $40 more, but is it worth that $40? Then the next model up is only $30 more above that . . .

See, the other problem was reviews for all the cheaper ones really suck. Sure, you shouldn’t expect the world out of a $50 tracker, but when 20% of the reviews are 1 star, and the total average is 3 star, it seems like what’s the point? Maybe it is better to pay $80 for a 4+ star if I get the warrantee. Yes, warrantees are stupid and one should not need to get them, but if it’s going to guarantee I can use it for 2-3 years instead of one, I’ll buy the dang thing. Average cost per year would still be less if it means I can use it that long. Again, the Fitbit was great while it lasted.

No, I don't want a smartwatch or the bulkier versions.

No comments: