Tuesday, March 26, 2024

When Doctors Seem Clueless

I dislike how easy is to see only the negative reasons to lose weight. Maybe that’s more motivating? Still, it would be nice to have more positive motivation, more positivity in one’s life on the whole. Probably not realistic. What I see is that no doctor or health care provider will ever take you seriously or even want to treat you when you’re overweight. In the last few weeks I’ve been given the diagnosis of edema, baker’s cyst, water retention, and “nothing’s wrong with you, your body is shaped weird” for pain in my leg and swelling in my leg and knee. One doctor wanted an MRI without even looking at it. Hmm. In other words, any remedy such as rest, ice, or massage might help or make it worse. Resting and staying off it could help it heal, or make it worse, since I’ve been staying off my foot for months now, with the plantar fasciitis issue. We were finally building back up over 3000 steps in a day. Even doing that in small chunks hurt my foot, let alone all at once. So first we had a nice serving of guilt that this is all my fault because I haven’t been active enough. And bottom line, it appears I have to figure things out for myself because urgent care places only want to make sure you’re not dying, and regular doctors don’t have openings for 2-4 months to see you in the first place. They ruled out blood clot, which is nice, but otherwise, I’m on my own. Sure, I could get an MRI, but places are asking for payment up front these days, and depending on the time used, those can run a few thousand dollars. In addition, I have an MRI coming up for my cancer watch thing, so I kind of cringe having two of them, when I certainly wonder if it’s needed for my knee, when, as mentioned, the doctor wouldn’t even look at it. Telehealth is wonderful to get a quick appointment, but I’m not sure all situations are best treated that way. Of course, I’m not the expert. I’m only at their mercy, and I can tell you most of them hate treating overweight patients, because we bring all this on ourselves, even if we’re eating to that we no longer like food and still can’t lose much weight. Three months and I still haven’t gotten to the 10% mini milestone that is supposed to be worth noting.

No comments: