Thursday, March 19, 2020

Coronavirus Commentary

Well, there’s no use denying the COVID-19/novel corona virus going around is causing a lot of stress, sadness, and uncertainty, at the very least. I won’t pretend I have anything novel or unique to say about it. Here’s what made me slightly unexpectedly sad about it today. I mean, obviously there’s the death, suffering, fear, isolation and deplorable conditions some people have experienced. So never mind that. Here’s my little nuance. With all the thrift stores closed, I can’t donate any items anymore. At least giving to a thrift store, there was a slight chance of the items getting new life. If someone wanted them, and the tiny sales amount benefited charity, yay. At least there was a chance it could help someone, or not completely go to waste. No choice now. I was forced to work from home starting today, which means we have to get rid of a lot of stuff from our old desk, primarily my husband’s territory. He said hey, I’ll do the Kondo thing and get rid of some of this junk. And a millisecond after my happiness that he wanted to try, I realized everything we get rid of will have to go straight to the trash. I’m not even sure if recycling places are open anymore, if anything qualified. My (idiotic) country doesn’t recycle plastic anymore, so that’s down-heartening enough. Waste here, ignorance there, pandemic everywhere. (sigh) It can get to a person after a while. Restaurants closed, food aisles baron, unable to visit family for fear that someone somewhere might have been remotely around someone seven degrees away from someone who had the virus. Really ready for this to be over with. And it’s not by a long shot.

No comments: