Monday, November 24, 2008

Moving Sucks

What can I say? After 8 days, we’re still in the middle of moving. Well, more like the tail-end, but it feels like it will never be done. With me and my spouse both working long hours, it’s been difficult to get anything accomplished aside from the first weekend we had off. And now it’s down to the small scraps where I don’t even know where to start.

So I’m guessing this is supposed to be a necessary “purging” experience. Or at least it’s supposed to be. Unfortunately we didn’t have as much time to prepare for the move as we would’ve liked, so we had to throw everything together and it will be the unpacking end that will be more sorting and sifting through what we really need to keep or not. Over the 11+ years at the last apartment, I’ve accumulated a lot of “stuff.”

In my defense, I come from a family of die-hard pack-rats. I know one shouldn’t blame your parents for everything because we all have the ability to decide to change who we are, but all I’m saying is that’s where it comes from. To this day, my mother lives in a huge two-story house with 4 bedrooms, a big foyer, living room, family room, and library, and you can hardly weave from one end of a room to the other because there are pile of things everywhere. She lives by the credo that you must not ever throw anything about because you might need it someday. In comparison, I’m not nearly as bad, so that’s something.

While the move was unexpected and a monumental pain, I’m hoping that at the end of it, we can settle down and go through things as I mentioned. I’ll be doing well if I can get through one box a week. I’m referring to those left over boxes once I think I have everything essential unpacked, and I’m thinking to myself, what the heck is all the rest of this stuff?

On a good note, the cats have adjusted remarkably well, and they get a big kick out of climbing over all the boxes. In fact, today Paleface moved up in the world from the breakfast bar (her previous high perch) to not only the top of the refrigerator, but the top of the cabinets above the refrigerator. The master plan is to give the cats the traditional “plant shelf” and hopefully they will be happy looking out over their terrain. Knowing Paleface though, she’ll be clawing at the ceiling, trying to figure out what is above that.

No comments: