Friday, September 20, 2024

Silly Girliness

I’ve never been particularly feminine or girly. One of my mother’s chief complaints was that I didn’t like to dress up and she didn’t want to be seen in public with me (thanks, mom). My one weakness is sparkly stuff. As a child, it’s glitter or crystals. If you try to adapt it to being grown-up, it becomes jewelry. I don’t go for expensive jewelry, but since there’s so much variety of cheap and pretty stuff out there . . .

Last year when I had the cancer scare and waiting for yucky tests and results to come in, I got a ring that ended up kind of having that specific meaning associated with it - hope I don't have cancer. Somewhat recently I thought maybe I should wear the “hope I don’t have cancer” ring more often to see if it could motivate or scare me into eating better. You can tell that didn’t work.

I was on this cheap website my spouse told me about (therefore it’s not my fault, right?), and I thought hey, this one could be a sort of “condolences you can’t eat food like that anymore, but you can look at this ring instead.” Ha. I eventually gave in and bought it, cuz, why not. Now the funny thing is that my size 6 rings are so loose I’ve discovered I’m almost a size 5. Good grief. I still need to lose 100+ pounds, how am I already a size 5? The lowest I ever was, when I had 17-point-something body fat, and WW threatened to kick me out, was a ring size 4.5. Even if one loses weight from the extremities first, this seems weird. I’m still in the “morbidly obese” range (not merely obese, morbidly so). But more importantly, my stupid ring hasn’t even arrived yet and it won’t fit. Wah. How much does that serve me right? I have little ring sizers, so it’s not the end of the world, but still. Of course it’s the cheap kind of website where returns and exchanges are not allowed, and I knew this before purchasing. Oh well.

No comments: