Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Week One Status (what's next?)

Diligently keeping the pain log including what seems to hurt and when. Patterns seem pretty consistent, though intensities vary a bit.

The day starts out great, a tiny bit of soreness as if I used some muscles, which sometimes makes me excited that I’d like to work a few more and build up tolerance. But by noon I’m glad I didn’t do anything because I'm increasingly sore for seeminly no reason. By the evening shower, almost any movement hurts and triggers thoughts of dude, this cannot be normal.

The idea to keep moving slow and gentle was because I read something that if you give yourself too much rest, muscles atrophy and everything will hurt. I thought I'd given it plenty of rest, so I was trying to not be so much of a wimp.

This is getting old really fast. I said I would continue the current status quo for a week. What to try for the next week? Cuz I’ve got to admit, I’m itching to try something differnt. Even if I have no idea what to do.

The general biggie recommendation you hear is "ice and rest." Ok, uhm, I have a desk job. I do most carrying of tiny objects with my other hand. The only activities difficult to avoid are shower and getting dressed. Those don't hurt until I try them, and by that time it's too late, and it's also over, so it's also pointless. Like I put on a shirt, ouch, that hurt. It's not like I need to do that repeatedly therefore I think ok, maybe I should stop and rest. I've even modified those activities to use the opposite hand/arm/shoulder as much as possible.

Icing the shoulder is not very easy. I could hold an ice pack over the unhappy parts, but then I can't do anything else. I've gotten wraps and packs, and the only way to try to hold it in place ends up hurting more and strangling my armpit. So it's not like I can ice it several times a day unless I simply go to the freezer, grab an ice pack, and then stand around for a while waiting to feel better. I don't have that kind of extra time until after work. Then half the time it hurts to put the ice pack on anyway, so I'm not motivated to keep it there.

I suppose the other thing I can do is try those youtube videos. Already watched a couple. Hmm. For consistency, does one try only one video per week? Otherwise if you try out a whole bunch, and pain and soreness is delayed, who knows which one really sucker punched you.

I did google articles on the difference between soreness and pain. It feels like I have both. Had to guffaw over the part where it says "it may be time to seek medical attention. Ha. Seek, yes. Then wait. In my area, anyway. Three months average to get an appointment anywhere besides urgent/care Doc In The Box places. So I'm waiting and trying to think of what to attempt next.

No comments: