Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Week Two Progress

I hate how much pain I am in this week. That’s a strong word. I am acutely frustrated with how much pain I am in this week. Two more weeks until the doctor appointment to ask about the shoulder pain that I’ve been experiencing since April. This week’s tactic has been to try youtube shoulder exercises and do some of the arm exercises I used to. The result has been strenuous pain during and after, eventually subsiding to some pain relief several hours later. It does feel better than the initial starting point pain, but it takes a while to get there. Not really fun even if it does eventually improve for the evening. Today I couldn’t convince myself to hurt enough in the morning, so this afternoon I’m still at the really hurting point despite Tylenol, ibuprofen and bio-freeze. Bio-freeze helped initially, but not long lasting. I can get away with using it while I work from home, but what about when I go into the office? We're not even allowed to use smelly lotions. Pretty sure the intense menthol aroma would be frowned upon.

Even if the intensity of the pain is not horrific, it’s nearly relentlessness. It's thethe constancy that drives me nuts after a while. It wears on a person after a while. Doing even 10-20 minutes of painful exercises for the reward of lesser pain hours later is mildly encouraging, but not really a morale booster. They say keep moving more, and you’ll hurt less, but how much torture is normal to get there? This isn’t casually warming up stiff muscles with a leisurely walk. This is attempting those HIIT work-outs while wining, grimacing, and occasionally holding my breath because it hurts that much. Today with my opposite arm throbbing despite all he otcs, I guess I couldn’t push myself into quite enough pain to achieve delayed relief. Shame on me.

Also trying stretches and massage in addition to otcs.

No comments: