Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Score One for Sports Medicine

The verdict is in – rotator cuff tendonitis.

That was almost the last thing I thought I was afflicted with. Right above frozen shoulder (since my shoulder isn’t frozen). I thought rotator cuff ailments were only among active, or athletic people. I sit at a desk all day. Why would my rotator cuff tendon be inflamed from that? Yet it seems plausible. They said one thing gets off, and then everything gets off, or in the way, or effected by muscles/body trying to compensate. I can buy into that. Sometimes it’s this part of my arm, sometimes the opposite side of my arm. More importantly they didn’t simply ask me to describe, but they did the poking and prodding, and asked me to press this way or that wa to see what hurt or didn’t. They gave me a short-term anti-inflammatory prescription and some exercises. Some of them are ones I’d come across, some new.

The amusing part was where they asked me to press against their hands in various directions. Seemed almost surprised I had toned muscles. Yes, me fat, but also have muscles. Sure, not a lot, and pressing some directions I definitely gave up more quickly because it hurt so much. But yay, I have muscles. Maybe even a surprising amount to the doc, based on their reaction.

At least I have a name for it now. You know I’m not going to sit here with 6 exercises and only do them three times a week. I'm going to try to do them every single day. I’m going to keep searching for other exercises and stretches. But at least now I know if I’m in the right direction. I know that the freaking painful towel stretch is good for me and I'm not doing more damage.

No comments: