Sunday, June 9, 2024

Sleeping When Hot

Ugh. We got a new mattress this spring. It was sorely needed – the prior mattress was basically a dud quality wise, but not covered under the warrantee for being too firm. Problem is, structurally it was super cooling (freezing in winter, had to put multiple blankets under the sheets) and now that the weather is getting hot, I didn’t realize how much I would miss that feature. I think it was the honey-comb-like semi-hollow structure that seemed to suck all the warm air away. Idk.

Now what. Can’t get another mattress. Besides, we already tested every mattress tested in the valley, and not going to try the mattress in a box types. As tempting as some of those looked, we stumbled across one in real life and it was terrible. Not going that route.

They have supposed cooling sheets, blankets, comforters . . . But which one? Amazon.com is notorious for not refunding my returns, so I don’t want to stack up 2 or 3 $100+ duds figuring out which one is best. I love my weighted blanket, so that’s an issue too. Do I need a different “cooling” weighted blanket? Or would a cooling cover suffice? Cooling weighted blanket doesn't do any good if you don't also have a cooling cover. You need a cover because you don't want to wash weighted blankets often. Can one sandwich a supposedly cooling thin sheet/blanket between oneself and the weighted blanket and feel cooler or does it not work that way? It’s not that my weighted blanket is super warm, but it doesn’t help. Maybe I got used to it being warm because all the heat was sucked out of me by the blanket and it balanced out somehow? Therefore maybe it would balance out if I found some super cooling weighted blanket even though the mattress feels like the source of heat right now. It’s all relative anyway – it’s not that the mattress is inherently hot, but it feels warm it in comparison to the ice cube we’ve slept on for the past few years.

I’ve spent a couple of weeks looking at articles, reviews, etc. and haven’t come to any conclusions. I guess it’s my fault I didn’t ask about cooling properties on the mattress, and only went for comfort. Like sales people would be entirely honest. And as if they’d know exactly what my old mattress felt like. Besides, did I mention we didn't like any other mattresses? The question is what can I do to cope with the current situation and make it more bearable?

Already have a cooling mattress protector and supposedly semi-cooling natural fiber sheets (closet shopping). I recently saw supposedly gel-infused memory foam pads/toppers may have cooling properties. I hate memory foam but if it’s only a couple inches vs. the whole mattress, and if it really cools . . . I might be willing to give it a go. Gel-only cooling pads are only supposed to help for a couple of hours. One could argue that might be long enough to fall asleep pleasantly and maybe the gradual less-effectiveness while asleep wouldn’t be that disruptive. But if solid gel doesn’t last that long, gel-infused probably isn’t going to be any better.

Drilling holes probably isn’t a great solution either, even though I think that’s what helped the previous mattress feel like a heat sink. If I went for the toppers, there go the fitted sheets. Current mattress is already 16 inches, and adding 2-4 inches of cooling topper . . . granted, we sometimes use flat sheets in lieu of fitted, and that works, but then you have no use for the fitted ones at all and cut your useable resources in half.

Too bad I didn’t realize we should have taken a chainsaw to the last mattress. Maybe there was a layer in there we could have used while destroying it. But we didn’t have a chainsaw or room to destroy it. Sigh.

No comments: