Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Almost 6 Weeks Post Op

Thursday is officially 6 weeks from surgery. I have the last appointment with my surgeon that day, and anticipate she will release most if not all activity restrictions. I’ve been doing really well, but also appreciate them being protective of me. I’ve found it’s easy to over-do things when feeling well, especially the first three weeks. Even if one doesn’t significantly injure themselves by over-doing it, it still stresses the body out, which is already stressed trying to rebuild and recover. I’m still significantly overweight and in an older age class, so if anything, I almost feel guilty I’ve done so well. I wouldn’t post to those surgery recovery boards because I realize not everyone is so lucky. Definitely wouldn’t want to lead prospective surgery patients to believe that it would be as easy as I’ve had it. I saw a post this morning how someone also appreciated their fitness tracker to chart their progress. They made steady progress building up to 2600 steps by day 9. I worked up to 6000 steps on day 6. Yet I wasn’t consistent and have only been averaging about 5500, with some days doing far less. That lack of self discipline isn’t anything to brag about.

The one thing challenging my patience is my shoulder. It started aching a bit before surgery, and I figured it might be the new mattress. Not so much sleeping on it, but hoisting my big ol’ body around when I change positions. It doesn’t hurt when I do that, but I’m half asleep so it’s possible the discomfort doesn’t register. I wake up and it’s not too bad. By the end of the day it feels semi-terrible and I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. If I hold completely still, it’s fine. If I stretch – pain. Move in particular directions, sore pain, as if it’s been over-used. Pretty sure it contributed to my neck being so tense sore a while ago. The thing is, I’m not doing any exercises or weights, so what the? I do try to gently rotate and stretch once in a while, but I have no idea how it builds up all day. I spent a couple of weeks trying to only use my opposite arm/shoulder to reposition and scootch around in bed and it didn’t help. Generally the remedy is rest, ice. I had plenty of time and ice packs during my surgery recovery, but no improvement.

I could go in to a walk-in place, but it’s not like it’s urgent (as they are called urgent care clinics). Most likely they would say it’s nothing serious, follow up with my primary care provider . . . based on the previous knee situation. Otherwise I’d be tempted to go. Idk. It’s so hit and miss with these places. Sometimes they can fix you right up or refer to physical therapy if needed. Other times they’re rude, ask what the heck do you expect of them and tell you to let things run the course. Maybe I could start strengthening exercises once I get the green light on Thursday.

No comments: